Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Hackle & More Johnson

TERROR MAN. TERROR FACE. TERROR CLOWN.
TERROR CHILD. TERROR MAN. TERROR FACE.
TERROR CLOWN. TERROR CHILD. TERROR HOUSE.
TERROR SHARK. TERROR MOUSE
- Douglas Hackle
More Short Story Month Reads!

The following four stories bring me to the end of the main thrust of Jeremy Robert Johnson's We Live Inside You, a rather fine collection of short fiction:

"A Flood of Harriers"
"The Encore"
"Laws of Virulence"
"States of Glass" (This one scared me, which is rare.)

The last section of the book, which I'll try to finish by month's end, contains what Johnson has labeled 'b-sides' and oddities. Based solely on the stories I've read so far, fifteen or so, I already feel safe saying this collection is highly recommended.

I also read a short short by the inimitable Douglas Hackle called "In Our Hearts." This is a gem of a story lost in a morass of kludgy eBook formatting so fucked that it dissuaded me from even sampling any of the other stories in the collection. For those who dare, you can find this particular Hackle in Aliens, Sex & Sociopaths: The Best of Surreal Grotesque


No comments:

Post a Comment