Sunday, December 29, 2013

Majestic Freiks by Richard McGowan

This, to me, captures the tone of many of the stories in this fine little collection:

Grimms' fairy tales as told by Carroll's Hatter.

If I had to pick my favorite, it would be "The Chinese Type Cutter," wherein the hero sets out on a journey to find the antidote for a curse that causes his neighbor to uncontrollably laugh at her husband's erection.

Also, it must be noted that the story "Electronika of Covert Garden" has what I believe to be the first example of anti-humor I've seen deployed in a written work. The title character, Electronika, has a speech impediment so complicated and ridiculous that it renders almost all of her dialogue completely unreadable. Thankfully, the other characters in the story translate.

No comments:

Post a Comment